Saturday, May 12, 2012

IN MEMORY OF MY MOTHER - Happy Mother's Day

 
My Mother, my children and memories of Daddy

In memory of my Mother, Arlene. 
Happy Mother's Day. 

The picture above shows my mother in the upper left corner.
Baby pictures are me in the middle, my daughter to the left and my son to the right. 
The etching of the house is one I did from a photo of the house I grew up in.  It was built by my father and mother two years before I was born and where I grew up. 
The large photo collage of photos are pics of my children and I and their spouses.
The poem to the left is one I wrote of memories of my father. 
The wood burn is one I did from a drawing my father had done many years before. 

My mother taught me to sew when I was young. I don't remember how she taught me, but just that she was a seamstress and made all my clothes. Until the time she made me a pink corduroy coat when I was maybe 11 or 12. (I still don't really like pink). At that age I think her told her to stop making clothes for me.

She taught me how to treat people. One of her sayings was: "If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."  

She also used to hate it when people would tell their children to "Shut up". That was not allowed around her, and to her it was being mean to the child.

She was diagnosed with MS in the early '70's but we suspect she had it even in the early '60's as her mother, and I walked longer distances than she did when we went to the New York Worlds Fair in 1964.  

She refused to let it keep her down for long. She pushed herself. She tried various diets and foods to help with the affects of MS. She eventually walked with a walker. 

She continued to drive as much as she could especially to church.   One time she stopped at the post office and the car slid on the ice and hit the blue post office box. She couldn't stop and get out of the car so when she got home she called the post office and told them she was the one who had hit the mail box. They told her not to worry about it, as she was not the first to do it. 

I have many memories of my mother over the years. And I miss her very much. 

In 1989 she was diagnosed with cancer. She fought a good fight. She passed away in March of 1990. 

And now my daughter is due with her first child in October. So to her --- Happy to-be-Mother's Day!

And a Happy Mother's Day to my daughter in law, and my step daughter.

And to all mothers - may you have a blessed day. 

Phyllis

No comments:

Post a Comment