Wednesday, October 31, 2012

THE PATHWAY AHEAD

Today is the last day of October. Many will celebrate Halloween, dress up, go trick or treating, and eat too much candy. To all of you - stay warm and safe. 

Today, for me, it is a day of memories and reflections as well as a day to look further down the path to what the rest of the year may have to offer. 


Today would have been my grandmother's birthday. We all called her 'Granny', which is why I am called 'Granny' by my grand children.  She played a special part in my life. I looked up to her. I admired her. I loved her. I still miss her.  


Yes, there were a couple of times I recall her making me upset, but most of the time it was fun to be around her.  She lived in New England (and we lived in PA) until I was about 14 or 15. Then her and Gramps build a house right across the road from us. 
She was always busy, always going places. And Christmas at her house was the best. Family gathered for gifts and dinner, to sit by the fireplace, and to eat some more. She was known for her Granny Cookies (and I'll make some again this year). Even having the recipe published in the local paper

Yes, I miss my Granny. I would have loved to have her live forever. (She'd be 114 today! ) And I wish she would have lived long enough to meet all of her great grand children. But she passed on when my daughter was only a few months old.


I reflect today on those family memories and wonder what your family memories are? Many of you can remember quilts being in your life. And that is part of why you make quilts now. Many will remember family traditions that you still honor today. Others may not have fond memories of family growing up

So many families don't live near each other any more and it is hard to make a close net connection with daily, weekly or even monthly contact. That makes it hard to form a lot of memory forming days or events. 


As quilters we have a special way to make a memory for family members as well as friends. We make quilts. Quilts of all sizes are given away. We spend hours picking out the perfect pattern, perfect fabrics, perfect colors they may like. We spend hours cutting, sewing, seam ripping, re sewing, and quilting these treasures. We then give them away.  How many put a label on their quilt? And what do you write on that label?  Let's think ahead when we make our quilts and write more than just our name and date on the label.  
Write the name of the person you are giving it to. Add why you are giving it, such as birthday, Christmas, wedding etc. Write how you are related to that person. Add the name of the quilt, the quilt pattern. And any other information you can think to add. That way years from now others will know how extra special your quilt is. 

With less than 2 months to go before Christmas may we all remember to take time to relax and enjoy family and friends as well as stay busy at our machines or with the needle and thread.  Let part of the memories we make for others be that we spent time with them, doing things with them. As I remember doing things with my Granny, more than what she gave me. (although I remember some of those gifts also, and it was the little things I remember.)  

Til next time - keep those needles stitching. 

Phyllis  
 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment